Stevens, K. R. (2013). The impact of evidence-based practice in nursing and the next big ideas. Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 18(2), https://chamberlainuniversity.idm.oclc.org/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=90012507&site=eds-live&scope=site
Aromataris, E., & Pearson, A. (2014). The systematic review: An overview. American Journal of Nursing, 114(3), 53-58. Retrieved from https://chamberlainuniversity.idm.oclc.org/login?url=http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&CSC=Y&NEWS=N&PAGE=fulltext&AN=00000446-201403000-00028&LSLINK=80&D=ovft (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
A short tutorial with tips for completing this assignment may be viewed here: Evidence-Based Practice Change Process (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
EBP Change Process (form)
1. Download the EBP Change Process form (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. during Week 1.
2. The use of this specific form is REQUIRED and is due at the end of Week 6.
3. A short tutorial with tips for completing this assignment may be viewed in the short video above.
4. Identify a clinical topic and related nursing practice issue you think needs to be changed.
5. Locate a systematic review on your topic from the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews located in the Chamberlain Library. Be sure this involves nursing actions.
6. Work through each step of the ACE Star Model as outlined on the assignment form (Star Points 1-5: Discovery, Summary, Translation, Implementation, and Evaluation). Respond to the instructions provided on the form.
7. Follow the activities and thinking of Nurse Daniel in Weeks 1-6 in the ‘Illustration’ part of each lesson. He will be working through a clinical topic and nursing practice issue to demonstrate a change (ACE Star Model and systematic review).
8. Work on a portion of the process each week, as the illustration unfolds.
9. Please reach out to your instructor for feedback or assistance with your PICOT question as needed.
10. Required and Additional Background Reading in Weeks 1 and 2 under Readings is available for more information on the ACE Star Model and the use of systematic reviews.
11. Please cite any references (in APA format) of your systematic review or other scholarly document (optional) as needed. Paraphrasing information, rather than quoting, is expected. No quotes for this assignment please!
12. For questions about this assignment, please contact your instructor.
13. Use the grading rubric as a final way to check that all components of the form have been completed. The rubric is the tool your instructor will use to assess your content.
Daniel has been an RN for 12 years and works on a Medical-Surgical unit at a community hospital. He is completing his BSN program in a few weeks and is being mentored by his supervisor, the current Unit Manager, who will soon be retiring. Daniel will be promoted to that leadership position shortly after graduating. Daniel is aware of challenges that are impacting patient outcome measures. Daniel is also cognizant of his own strengths and limitations and is currently developing a plan to address the unit patient issues, communicate effectively, and stay engaged with his peers, as well as maintaining his own positive health status.
Daniel has identified a practice issue on his unit that he would like to address for better patient outcomes. The number of health-associated infections (HAI’s) have been increasing for patients with central lines on his unit. The current Unit Manager has alerted Daniel to the fact that infection rates of patients on the unit have increased by 35% in the past year. Daniel is unsure of the exact nature and cause of this increase but suspects there may be non-adherence to policies and/or procedural errors. As he reflects on this, he also becomes aware that when his role changes to the new Unit Manager, this issue will take on renewed importance and accountability. Deciding to be proactive, Daniel begins to search for a systematic review that could be used as part of an evidence summary for quality improvement with the HAI issue. He also plans to inquire about the unit data and other in-house information that might be pertinent. After discussing his plan with the Unit Manager, Daniel decides to use the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews to find an appropriate systematic review. His manager suggests he also use the ACE Star Model as a strategy for looking at the evidence and planning a possible change of practice.
After searching the Cochrane Database, Daniel located a systematic review that aligned with his topic issue. He has decided to use a PICOT format to further clarify what he is wanting to summarize and plan. As far as the scope of this practice issue, Daniel also found slight increases in the numbers of HAI on other units within the facility for patients with central lines. His thinking is that the nurses may be missing the signs of infection through irregular assessment and monitoring. Therefore, his PICOT contains the following:
· P=Patients over the age of 25 years with central lines
· I=Develop and implement an early detection system on his unit to compare with another unit
· C=The comparison of the 2 units related to the number of infections (HAI) on each unit
· O=The targeted outcome would be a decrease in central line infections
· T=The timeframe would be for a 6 month period of trial time