The focus of this assignment is to produce a 2,000 word analytical business report. This report is based on the Thomas Cook group with a consideration and review of its strategic positioning and business development in relation to competitive strategies. The report title is
Thomas Cook: Long Road to Recovery?
As an initial primer to your assignment, you are provided with some short introductory short reading/reference sources:
BBC News Website: Thomas Cook sees losses widen on higher fuel costs
This is Money: Thomas Cook shares plunge as UK austerity and Arab Spring take toll on holiday business
The Telegraph website: Thomas Cook takes big step to recovery
You should augment these initial sources with additional research on Thomas Cook as a company and with more general reference sources considering competitive strategy theories and model(s).
You can structure your analysis, but not limit, around the following issues:
1. Overview and analysis of Thomas Cook’s strategy pursued at UK market before the crisis.
2. Analysis of external and internal problems facing the company.
3. Evaluation of the new strategy, e.g. is it strategic repositioning or strategic consolidation.
4. Advice to Thomas Cook senior management team on the future strategy.
The assignment will be assessed in three areas of content/analysis and the overall presentation and referencing support as follows:
1. Understanding of competitive strategies and context of their application. (30%)
2. Quality of the company information, e.g. the report should demonstrate that you are able to undertake independent business research (30%)
3. Quality of the arguments, e.g. all recommendations and suggestions has to be supported by application of appropriate analytical framework (30%)
4. Quality of presentation, written style and structure and referencing style. In this you should demonstrate the proper use of Harvard style referencing. (10%)
In search for company information you are free to use a variety of sources such as Mintel reports and credible Internet sources. However, for academic purposes you must use academic sources such as traditional texts, academic journals and other quality business sources. Marks will be deducted across each element of the assignment as appropriate where there is indiscriminate and inappropriate use of web-based source material (in this regard, please note that the above internet references are from respected sources).